I used to sleep terribly! I would wake up 6-8 times a night. Sometimes I’d wake up and spend hours being unable to fall back to sleep.
Now I sleep well and my energy levels are restored. I rarely wake up during the night and am able to sleep completely through.
I started doing daily hypnosis / relaxation with an app for my iphone by Andrew Johnson. The first app I did was his relax app and noticed after about a week I was only waking up 2 – 3 times a night. I then purchased his deep sleep app and began doing it right before going to sleep. I usually fall asleep while doing this app. After doing the deep sleep app, I began sleeping the full night through. It’s like magic. I try and do his relax app during the day and then do the deep sleep app while I go to sleep. It takes a week or two to start working but it worked for me.
I’ll be honest, at first I had to force myself to do it but after about a week I wanted to do it. It became a choice as opposed to a chore.
If you don’t have an iphone, there is probably a way to get his recordings another way. His deep sleep app is only $3. I would have paid $100s for the gift of deep sleep.
Below is a list of other things that will help you sleep better.
- Comfort: Are you comfortable? Do you like your bed, your pillows? Are you cold? Do you need more blankets? Less blankets? All these things matter! Do everything you can to be as comfortable as possible. If your bed hurts you, maybe it’s time to get a new one. If you can’t afford one, looks into getting a gently used one. Maybe a relative is getting a rid of their bed or you could check our craigslist.. Sometimes people give their brand new beds away because they’re going through a messy divorce! It’s worth a look.
- Curtains: HEAVY Curtains. This might sound like a no-brainer but you’d be surprised how many people don’t realize their benefit. Our bodies have a wonderful natural clock that harks back to the beginning of man. Back then, before alarm clocks, we used light as our wake up call. Our bodies are trained to rise when we “see” the sun. Even if we are asleep, our eyelids still let in light. Heavy curtains will block out the “sun alarm clock” and allow us to sleep a little longer and better.
- Exercise: Doing some sort of daily exercise will help to work out your anxieties and help you to fall asleep more easily. However, don’t exercise right before bed because exercise also wakes you up!
- Noise Machine: I have been sleeping with a noise machine for over 5 years. You probably have disrupted sleep to begin with and the beauty of a noise machine is that it keeps out other noises that could you wake up during the night.
- I put a link to the machine I use. It makes a sound similar to an air condition and plugs into the wall. It’s about $50 but I’ve had it since 2006 and it’s moved 3 times. This is a sturdy, well made piece of machinery.
- Relaxation Techniques while in bed: If you don’t want to try the deep sleep app at least try this. I slow my breathing and practice letting go of all my tension. I visualize my head sinking into the pillow and try to “drain” all of my tension into the pillow. I then move onto my neck, my shoulders, my chest and move down my body. Take your time with each body part, especially those needing more attention. If it helps, visualize hands massaging any parts that hurt.